A police investigation is underway after a man’s body was discovered near the Sea Point tidal pool in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Authorities say the circumstances surrounding the man’s death are currently unclear, and no motive has yet been confirmed.
Crowd gathered
The area near the Sea Point Pavilion remained open to the public, though visibly marked off as officers secured the scene for forensic examination.
Local witnesses said a small crowd gathered at the beachfront after the discovery.
While unconfirmed reports on social media suggested that the death could be gang-related, police have stressed that these claims are speculative at this stage.
“We’ve opened an inquest docket and are appealing to the public for any information or video footage that may assist in the investigation,” said a police spokesperson.
‘Shock and concern’
This latest incident follows another recent tragedy on the Sea Point Promenade earlier this month, when a man was believed to have taken his own life.
That case also remains under investigation.
Neighbours in the area have expressed shock and concern, but say they’re determined to remain vigilant and support efforts to keep the promenade safe.
Police have urged anyone with any information to contact the Sea Point Police Station directly.
Do you have any information that could help this investigation?
📞 Contact Sea Point SAPS: 021 430 3700
📧 Or report anonymously via Crime Stop: 08600 10111
How frequently do you use the Sea Point Promenade?
Let us know by leaving a comment below, or send a WhatsApp to 060 011 021 1
Subscribe to The South African website’s newsletters and follow us on WhatsApp, Facebook, X and Bluesky for the latest news.